Looking After Your Data and Safeguarding Your Information
Your vision is our vision at McBride and McCreesh Opticians, with the health of your eyes being our number one priority. We are committed to delivering the highest possible standards of eye care to all our patients. In order to do so we need to keep records about you, your health and the care we have given to you (or plan to provide to you), whilst maintaining and upholding privacy and security at all times.
Information recorded can include basic information about you such as your name, address, date of birth, next of kin, spectacle lens or contact lens prescription, details of the frame or contact lens supplied. Other details about your health and medical treatment or details about the medicines you have been prescribed by your doctor may also be held.
As part of providing a professional, safe and efficient service we need to record certain information including; information about your ocular health, general health, advice given and details of any referrals made to other health professionals.
The information held about you will not be shared for any reason, unless:
- You ask us to do so
- We ask, and you give us specific permission, e.g. to share information with your doctors (GP and hospital) and other health professionals.
- We are permitted by law, for example, where public interest overrides the need to keep the information confidential.
Anyone who receives information from us also has a legal duty to keep this information confidential, subject to recognised exceptions of the types listed above.
Following an eye examination (or on completion of a contact lens fitting) patients will be offered a copy of their prescription. In order to safeguard our patients the following should be noted:
- The prescription needs to be signed by the prescribing optician. He or she may be available on the same day, however the signature may be delayed until the optician is next in the practice.
- Details will not be given out over the phone. This is for both security and the elimination of errors.
- Under no circumstances will patient details be given out to a third party unless under strict written authorisation from the patient concerned.
Your Rights at McBride and McCreesh Opticians
Under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), the Human Rights Act 1998 and the common law duty of confidence (the Disability Discrimination and the Race Relations Acts may also apply) you have the right to confidentiality.
We also comply with the HSE Code of Practice on Confidentiality and optical practices have a condition under their professional Code of Ethics to keep records about you confidential, secure and accurate. Furthermore, all of our staff employment contracts contain a requirement to keep patient information confidential.
Your Right to View Your Health Record at McBride and McCreesh Opticians
You have the right to ask for a copy of all our records about you. In order for our staff to identify you, you need to provide satisfactory information including your full name, address and date of birth. If you think any information we hold on you is inaccurate or incorrect, please let us know.
Our general data protection policy is set out below;
- All personal data will be relevant and lawfully collected
- Data will only be held and used for lawful purposes
- Data held on a specific patient will not be disclosed without written permission from the said patient
- Every effort will be made to ensure data is accurate and up to date
An individual is entitled at reasonable intervals and without undue delay or expense to be informed by any Data User whether he holds personal data of which that individual is the subject to have access to any such data held by a Data user; and where appropriate, to have such data corrected or erased.
Request for Access to Data at McBride and McCreesh Opticians
A request for access to personal data must be made in writing subject to any applicable exemption. We are required to respond to your request within 21 days. We will provide a copy of any information held on both manual record and computer. We will not charge for this.