Approximately three million people in the UK and Ireland successfully wear contact lenses. Ensure that you get the best out of your lenses by following our advice.
Ask yourself these three questions, each time you wear your lenses:
- Do my eyes look good? — no redness?
- Do my eyes feel good in my lenses? — no discomfort?
- Can I see well? — no unusual blurring?
If in doubt, please do not hesitate to contact us on 028 66322524, McBride and McCreesh Opticians, your local contact lens specialists.
- Attend regular check-ups as recommended by your optician
- Wash and dry your hands prior to handling your lenses
- Clean, rinse and disinfect your lenses after each use (except daily disposable lenses, which should be discarded after each wear, and continuous wear lenses)
- Air-dry the storage case and keep it dry when lenses are being worn
- Apply your lenses before putting on make-up
- Remove lenses before removing make-up
- Avoid hairspray as this can coat your lenses
- Replace your storage case monthly to prevent a build-up of contamination
- Have spare lenses (and solutions, if used)
- Have an up-to-date pair of spectacles available when you need to remove your lenses
- Use tap water on your lenses or lens case
- Wet your lenses with saliva
- Re-use disinfecting solution – discard and replace with fresh solution each time lenses are stored
- Sleep in your lenses unless specifically advised to by your practitioner
- Switch the type of solution you use except on the advice of your practitioner
- Use your lenses for swimming or water sports, unless wearing goggles
- Wear your lenses when showering or using a hot tub